PS8463E – DisplayPort™ V1.4a Dual-Mode Retimer with LTTPR Support
The PS8463E is a Dual-Mode DisplayPort™ retimer that removes signal jitter. It fully supports DisplayPort v1.4a up to the HBR3 link rate and HDMI™ 2.0 up to the 6.0Gbps TMDS™ data rate through the dual-mode function. The device integrates a jitter tolerant DisplayPort and TMDS receiver, and a jitter-cleaning retimer prior to the DisplayPort and TMDS transmitter. It is suitable for DisplayPort, Dual-Mode DisplayPort, and DisplayPort Alt Mode applications. It removes the data and clock timing jitter and the timing skews from the DisplayPort or TMDS input to deliver a compliant and very low jitter DisplayPort or HDMI output.
When used for native DisplayPort signaling, through the use transparent repeater operation the PS8463E main link output swing and pre-emphasis levels will response to link training between the DisplayPort video Source and downstream Sink. For LTTPR (Link Training Tunable PHY Repeater) operation, the PS8463E monitors the DisplayPort AUX Channel to snoop the LTTPR DPCD register transactions.
When used with a dual-mode upstream Source, the PS8463E supports the Dual-mode AC coupled TMDS signaling that enables the support of DVI or HDMI Sink devices through the use of a downstream level shifting device such as a Dual-mode DP to HDMI adapter.
The PS8463E is ideal for Source, Sink and repeater device applications including docking devices. The requirement for “jitter cleaning” using a retimer commonly exists in a video source to remove Tx jitter and/or induced media (transmission path) jitter in order to meet DisplayPort and HDMI output jitter requirements, especially at higher DisplayPort link rates or higher TMDS clock rates. The device can also be used within a DisplayPort docking device or Sink, as a repeater near the input connector, to improve receiver performance margin. Signal integrity can be further optimized through the use of the PS8463E’s programmable input equalization and output pre-emphasis controls.
- Compliant to VESA® DisplayPort™ (DP) Standard version 1.4 for 1.62, 2.7, 5.4 and 8.1Gbps link rates
- Compliant to VESA DisplayPort™ PHY Compliance Test Standard for Source and Sink devices
- Supports LTTPR command snooping
- Supports Dual-Mode DP repeater applications: DP link rates up to 8.1Gbps and TMDS rates up to 6Gbps
- Compliant to HDMI 2.0 specification up to 6.0Gbps
- Supports intermediate link rates for eDP applications
- Retimer function provides jitter cleaning for both DP and TMDS
- CrystalFree™ technology – no external crystal or reference clock is needed
- Automatic Link Training support – no system level support needed
- Superior Intra-pair and Inter-pair de-skewing
- Programmable receiver equalization to compensate for PCB and/or connector losses
- Link training based automatic equalization adjustment for DiplayPort operation
- Field proven AUX interception technology for DisplayPort repeating
- Source initiated power saving management
- Automatic power down management
- Built-in AUX CH and DDC combiner for Dual-Mode Source repeating
- Low power consumption
- Pin control or optional local I2C control
- 3.3V and 1.2V power supply
- 4.5×6.5mm 46-pin QFN RoHS compliant and halogen-free package
- ESD: HBM 7kV
- 0° to 85°C and -40° to 85°C operating temperature range options
- PC Desktop and Notebook Motherboards
- Notebook Docking Stations
- Graphics Cards
- Monitors and Displays
- Set-top Boxes