PS8421 – HDMI™ 2.0 6.0Gbps 2:1 Multiplexer with Jitter Cleaning Repeater
Not recommended for new designs.
The PS8421 is an HDMI™ 2:1 multiplexer device (two inputs, one output) that fully supports HDMI 2.0 by supporting up to 6.0Gbps TMDS™ data rate. To help maintain high speed signal integrity, the PS8421 includes a jitter cleaning repeater that is based on a retiming function used to regenerate the TMDS and clock output signals. This removes timing jitter from the HDMI inputs and also restores proper TMDS clock and data skew on the HDMI output.
The PS8421 is ideal for HDMI 2.0 Source or Sink applications where a 2:1 Mux is needed. Unlike a simple mux switch that often results in poor signal integrity at the mux output, the PS8421 actually improves signal integrity. When used in an HDMI 2.0 source device, the device removes signal jitter induced by PCB traces and other upstream switch devices, and can also remove jitter that is intrinsic in the HDMI transmitter. In an HDMI sink device the PS8421 removes jitter generated by the interconnect cable as well as jitter from the HDMI source devices and therefore can improve receiver performance margin. In addition to jitter cleaning, the PS8421 enables further signal integrity optimization through the use programmable input equalization and output pre-emphasis controls.
- Selectable 2:1 Multiplexer for HDMI 2.0 at 6Gbps
- Includes re-timer based jitter cleaning repeater to ensure the highest compliance margin
- Supports AC and DC coupled HDMI inputs
- Programmable receiver equalization to compensate for PCB, cable and/or connector looses
- Built-in DDC active buffering
- Configurable TMDS output pre-emphasis
- Automatic power down management
- Low power consumption
- Flexible pin and I2C control mode options
- CrystalFree™ technology – no external crystal or reference clock is needed
- Requires 3.3V and 1.2V power supplies
- Operating temperature range: 0° to 85°C
- 5x10mm 66-pin QFN package, RoHS compliant, halogen-free
- PC mother board with multiple GPUs (such as both an embedded and discrete GPU)
- Television, Monitor, or AV Receiver with:
- Multiple HDMI inputs
- One HDMI input and one DisplayPort™ input driving a DisplayPort-to-HDMI converter