The PS8407A is a low power HDMI™ repeater / retimer that removes jitter and fully supports HDMI 1.4b by supporting up to 300MHz TMDS™ clock rate. The device integrates a jitter tolerant TMDS receiver and a jitter cleaning TMDS transmitter for HDMI repeater applications. It removes both the data and clock jitter and the timing skews from the TMDS input to deliver a compliant and very low jitter HDMI output.
The PS8407A is ideal for Source, Sink and repeater device applications where jitter attenuation is needed. Such requirement might exist in a Source to remove Tx jitter and/or induced media (transmission path) jitter in order to meet HDMI output jitter requirements, especially at higher TMDS clock rates. It can also be used within a switch or Sink as a repeater function to improve signal integrity. Signal integrity can be further optimized through the use of the PS8407A’s programmable input equalization and output pre-emphasis controls.
The PS8407A also includes the VESA Dual-Mode DisplayPort Type 2 cable adaptor DDC registers. This enables the GPU to change devices settings and identify capability, using standard Dual-Mode DisplayPort Type 2 adaptor drivers. The PS8407A is not designed for Type 2 cable adaptors since it does not include the required I2C-over-AUX transaction support. For Type 2 cable adaptor applications refer to the PS8402A.
The PS8407A can accept either an AC or DC coupled input signal.
- Clock and Data Jitter Cleaning retimer – 12dB Jitter Attenuation performance for out-of-band HDMI clock jitter
- Very low power consumption
- Includes Dual-Mode DisplayPort Type 2 cable adaptor registers (DDC only, no I2C-over-AUX transaction support)
- CrystalFree technology – no external crystal or reference clock is needed
- Compliant to HDMI 1.4b specification up to 3.0Gbps (300MHz TMDS Clock)
- Supports 4K x 2K and 1080p Stereo 3D HDMI formats which require 2.97Gbps (297MHz TMDS clock) operation
- AC input coupling capable for level shifting applications
- DC input coupling capable for repeater applications
- Programmable receiver equalization
- Programmable TMDS output pre-emphasis and EMI reduction
- Automatic inter-pair and intra-pair de-skewing
- Automatic power down management
- Automatic output squelch circuit for fail-safe operation and power management
- Flexible pin and I2C control mode options
- Requires 3.3V and 1.2V, 1.35V, or 1.5V power supplies
- 5x5mm 40-pin TQFN package
- Operating temperature range availability: 0° to 70°C (commercial), -40° to 85°C (industrial)
- ESD: HBM 8 kV
- PC mother board or graphics card
- Cable extension with active repeater
- DVD Players or Set-top boxes
- Game console
- AV receivers
- PS8401A – HDMI Jitter Cleaning Repeater (uses 3.3V and 1.5V power supplies, no Type 2 adaptor register)
- PS8201A – TMDS Level Translator (without jitter cleaning function)