Dual-Mode DisplayPort Source 1:2 Demultiplexer, DP v1.2 and HDMI 1.4b capable
The Parade Technologies PS8338 DisplayPort Dual-Mode Source Demultiplexer accepts one DisplayPort input and provides two selectable DisplayPort outputs. Dual-mode DisplayPort Sources are supported enabling HDMI/DVI display compatibility through the use of a down-stream, level-shifting cable adaptor (dongle).
Supports the higher data rates of DisplayPort 1.2:
- Link Rates of 5.4Gb/s (HBR2), 2.7Gb/s (HBR), and 1.62Gb/s (RBR)
- AUX Channel rate of 720 Mb/s (Fast AUX) and 1 Mb/s (Standard AUX)
Supports up to 300MHz TMDS clock rate for dual-mode operation
- Supports DVI, and HDMI 1.4b (1080P 3D @60Hz, or 4Kx2K @24 or 30Hz)
- TMDS data rate of up to 3.0Gb/s (with TMDS clock rate of up to 300MHz)
- Supports both Type 1 and Type 2 dual-mode cable adaptors
When passing a native DisplayPort signal from the device’s input to the selected DisplayPort output (only one output can be selected at a time), the PS8338 behaves as a DisplayPort repeater/redriver device through the use of AUX channel interception, or “AUX snooping”. The PS8338 provides optimum signal integrity by directly regenerating and driving Main Link amplitude and pre-emphasis levels requested by the Sink during the DP Link Training process. This helps to ensure DisplayPort PHY compliance at the system output receptacle as well as to ensure robust interoperability with the display device, regardless of display cable length.
When passing a TMDS signal from the dual-mode Source, the Dual-mode DisplayPort output will support an external level shifter-based DisplayPort-to-HDMI/DVI Dual-mode video adaptor (dongle). The PS8338 is compatible with both Type 1 and Type 2 dual-mode cable adaptors.
The PS8338 can be configured to use the output hot-plug detect pins to enable automatic port switching and device power management. An automatic output squelch function disables the outputs when no input signal is present. Device operation and configuration can be controlled through device pin settings or I2C bus control.
The PS8338 can be used on the same circuit assembly as the Dual-mode DisplayPort Source device, or remotely such as in a notebook docking station. To ensure the maintenance of optimal signal integrity, the device includes an automatic equalizer on the input to compensate for PC board, connector, and cable losses.
- PC Desktop and Notebook Motherboards
- Notebook Docking Stations
- Graphics Cards
- Supports Dual-mode DisplayPort De-multiplexing (support both DisplayPort and TMDS)
- Compliant to the VESA DisplayPort 1.2 Standard — supports up to 5.4Gb/s link rate (HBR2), and AUX or Fast AUX
- Supports up to 3.0Gb/s TMDS data rate (300MHz TMDS clock rate), supports Type 1 and Type 2 Dual-mode DisplayPort cable adaptors
- Built-in AUX CH and DDC combiner for Dual-Mode Source support
- DisplayPort repeater / redriver function included for both DisplayPort outputs; full link training for 1, 2 or 4 lanes (all 4 output amplitude levels and 4 pre-emphasis levels)
- Supports transmitter Feed Forward Equalizer (FFE) with Post Cursor 2 on HBR2
- Automatic receiver equalization compensates for signal loss between Source device and PS8338 input
- Automatic port switching with priority control, or port switching via pin or I2C control
- Automatic power management and output selection settings
- Low power consumption
- Source initiated power saving management
- Device configuration can be through pin settings or I2C slave input, which offers additional device options
- ESD performance 8kV Human Body Model (HBM)
- 5x9mm 60-pin QFN package, RoHS compliant and halogen free
- 0 to 70°C operation
DEVICE OPTIONS — Dual Supply or Single Supply
- PS8338A — Dual supplies, 1.5V & 3.3V
- PS8338B — Single 3.3V Supply